- Foreign national who was an Indian citizen at the time of January 26th, 1950, or at any time after this date.
- Foreign national who was eligible to become an Indian citizen on January 26th, 1950.
- Foreign national who belonged to a territory that became part of India after August 15th, 1947.
- Foreign national who is a child, grandchild or great grandchild of such a citizen.
- Foreign national who is a child of such persons mentioned above.
- Foreign national who is a minor child of at least one Indian citizen.
- Foreign national who is a spouse of an Indian citizen or of an OCI cardholder whose marriage has been registered and subsisted for a continuous period of not less than two years.
* No person whose at least one of the parents, grandparents or great grandparents is or ever was a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or any other country specified by the Government of India shall be eligible for registration as an Overseas Citizen of India.
Complete and detailed information about OCI is available here
*Please note that the deadline for the conversion from PIO to OCI cards has been extended till June 30th, 2017.